Frequently Asked Questions

1. When is Wellesley College open?

Our school is open at 8:30am every morning during term time, Monday to Friday. Lessons start at 9.00am and school closes for the day at 3:00pm.

The school terms are given in the main school prospectus along with public holidays when the school is closed, this information can also be viewed on the website

2. What are the transport options available to my son?

Some students come in private cars, some walk (if they live close by) or travel by public or private bus. Wellesley offers a range of transport options for boys. Buses depart from several locations around Wellington and the Hutt Valley. For transportation costs, please contact the office. Boys also use the East by West Ferry from Queens Wharf to Days Bay Wharf, tickets can be purchased on board or concession tickets can be purchased via the Ferry Office on Queens Wharf. View timetable.

3. What do I need for classes?

a) Make sure you always have a pencil, pen, ruler and eraser with you every day. Your teacher will tell you what exercise books you need.

b) For the specialist classes, you need to wear your school style black leather shoes.

c) When your class has PE you will need your PE shirt and shorts.

4. Does my child have to wear a uniform?

Wellesley boys all wear a uniform, your son is welcome to wear their own uniform from their home school or may decide to wear the Wellesley uniform. If the student is studying at Wellesley for more than one term we request that the Wellesley uniform is worn.
Uniform items can be purchased online or in store from NZ Uniforms on Thorndon Quay in Wellington City or High Street in Lower Hutt. For more information about the Wellelsey uniform requirements, click here. A limited selection may be available through the school, please inquire upon confirmation of acceptance.

5. What if I am sick and I can't come to school?

a) If you are sick and cannot come to school, make sure that your parents contact the school to let the school know. When you return to school you will need to have a written note explaining your absence.

b) If you feel sick at school or if you hurt yourself at school, you need to go to the Reception area and inform the staff who will look after you.

c) If you have an appointment during the school day and have to leave the school during the day or miss a day as a result of the appointment, your parent needs to let the school know in advance through a written note.

6. What about breaks and meals?

a) There is a break in the morning from 10.50am to 11:10am and a break for lunch from 12:50pm to 1:30pm every day.

b) Food can be bought from the school tuckshop. Ordered lunches are collected by the students at 12:40pm. Snack foods can also be bought during the morning and lunch breaks.

7. What do I do if my lunch disappears?

If your lunch disappears from your bag or desk, let your classroom teacher know as soon as you find out. He or she will do what they can to find your lunch. They will also make sure that you do not go hungry at lunchtime.

8. May I use my email at school?

a) Students can use the Internet and a teacher must be present to make sure that you access suitable sites. You will need to sign a Student Communication Technology Agreement (this will be in the enrollment pack).

b) Private email addresses (e.g. hotmail, gmail etc) cannot be used.

9. What do I do if I am bullied?

If you are teased or bullied at school, coming to school, or going home from school, you must let your classroom teacher or the teacher responsible for international students  know as soon as you can. We do not like bullies and will do everything we can to prevent you being bullied.

10. What can I do if I have a grievance

We want you to be happy at Wellesley. There are times however, when things do not go as smoothly or as well as we may like. Here are some ideas about what you can do about it.

Problems with a teacher

Make a time to talk to your classroom teacher about your concern. If your concern is the classroom teacher, make a time to talk to the Teacher responsible for International Students.

After a few days, if you do not think the problem has been solved by your classroom teacher or by the International Student Advisor talk to the Principal, Michael Bain.

 Problems with school friends

Take the time to talk to your teacher about your concern.

You can also talk with our Chaplain. She is very helpful, especially with broken friendships. You can make an appointment at the Office through the school receptionist.

Problems with your homestay

Make a time to talk to the Teacher responsible for International Students

Complaints Procedure for International Students relating to Harassment and Discrimination

The speak to the Wellesley staff escalating the complaint as necessary

  1. Classroom teacher
  2. International Student Director
  3. Senior Management Michael Bain, Principal
  4. Disputes Resolution Scheme (DRS)

11. What if I change my address and phone number?

If you change your address or phone number your parents need to let the school know by giving you a written note to take to your teacher or the school Office.

12. Is home stay accommodation available?

We are not offering Home Stay at this time. Wellesley requires a parent has to be living with our students (their child) at all times while the child is studying at our school. Wellesley will checks to ensure that students are with at least one parent while enrolled at Wellesley as required by the Code of Practice for Pastoral Care of International Students.

13. What is the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students?

New Zealand education providers have an important role in ensuring the well-being of their international students. The Code sets out the minimum standards of advice and care that are expected of education providers for international students. This ensures students coming from other countries to study in New Zealand are well informed, safe, and properly cared for. New Zealand defines international students as those that are not domestic students. There is further information about this on the New Zealand Ministry of Education website. The New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) is the administrator of the Code on behalf of the New Zealand government.

For more information on the code refer to the following link.  You are encouraged to read the Code, which is available on the NZQA website in several languages. If you have further questions about the Code you can email:

14. How can I get a copy of the code?

You are encouraged to read the Code, which is available on the NZQA website in several languages. If you have further questions about the Code you can email:

What if something goes wrong?

If you have concerns about how your education provider or an agent is treating you, you should first contact your provider and follow their grievance procedure. Education providers must have an internal grievance procedure to listen to and deal with any concerns or complaints to ensure a fair result. They will have designated a person who you can talk to and who will advise you on how to address your concerns or complaints. This may be the principal or the international student director.

If the provider’s grievance process does not address your concerns or complaints, you can contact:

– NZQA (for concerns and complaints about a provider breaching the Code) or

– iStudent Complaints (for concerns and complaints about money or contracts).

Is your complaint about a provider breaching the Code?

As the Code administrator NZQA has the legal authority to investigate potential breaches of the Code. It has a process for finding out if the concern or complaint is valid and if a provider has breached the Code. This includes getting information from both the student who has raised the concern or complaint and the education provider. For information about how to make a complaint see the NZQA website.

Is your complaint about money or contracts?

iStudent Complaints is an independent service provided by the New Zealand government that can help you resolve concerns and complaints that are about money or contracts with an education provider. The service is free.

You can contact iStudent Complaints in a few ways:



International phone number 64 4 918 4975 Freephone (within New Zealand) 0800 00 66 75 Fax 64 4 918 4901

On social media:


WeChat (search for ‘NZ iStudent Complaints’ Chinese language only)

iStudent Complaints

P.O. Box 2272

Wellington 6014

New Zealand